Saturday, February 21, 2009

Pets and Movies


When I first saw the preview for Marely and Me, I could only try to decribe my excitement. I remember the preview very clearly, there was no sound only the picture of a cute fat puppy golden retriever running along side a beach with soft waves splashing on the sand. Behind this puppy was Jennifer Aniston running after him in slow motion. I didn't know what this movie was about and honestly I didn't care. All I knew was if the cute puppy was one of the main character this movie had to be good.

I guess my assumption was based on my chilhood. Reactions from books like Bunnicula and Old Yeller, still play clearly in my mind. There's something about animals that make it so hard to not like. I guess that's why insanely luxurious pet hotels and pet stores have been able to thrive. People loves animals and they love their pets. I am no exception, I can remember a time when I didn't have a dog in my home. Dogs are so loyal and unjudging. They are always happy to see you despite whatever you may be feeling or not feeling.

It's this unconditional affection and love from pets that make for good books and movies. I mentioned Bunnicula, and this is one of my favorite books even now as an adult. It is a story of a dog and a cat who thinks the new guest in the house, a bunny, is a vampire! The book hilariously describes their adventures as they play detective to discover if the bunny really is a vampire or not. Books and movies that describe the thoughts going on inside animals are good because it's always funny to assume and create what animals may be thinking from their perspectives.

Dr. Doolittle, The Bear, Incredible Journey, Marely and Me, and Pet Hotel are among the long list of movies that successfully potray animals in heart warming and loving roles. Homeward Bound Incredible Journey is among my favorite movie of the potrayal of animals as thinking passionate animals. Chase actually reminds me of my dog at home! Fun loving, playful and very very child-like!

DVD Gift Set
Homeward Bound: Incredible Journey/Homeward Bound
Picture Source

No comments: