Saturday, January 31, 2009

Bart's Nancy Cartwright a Scientologist?


What is it with celebrities and Scientology? While I do not know much about Scientology, I do know that this religion (?) has received the loyalty of many celebrities. Most famous for his belief in Scientology is probably Tom Cruise, but John Travolta and Kirstie Alley is among other members of this group. While doing some research I came upon an article affiliating Nancy Cartwright, the woman who does Bart's voice for the famous TV show, The Simpsons, to Scientology.

Nancy Cartwrigt donated a mind boggling, 10 million dollars to the faith in 2007. 10Million!!?! This very generous donation has earned her the Scientology's Patron Laureate Award. Her donation is even larger than Scientology's second-in-command, Tom Cruise. She is now back in the spot-light for using Bart's voice to recruit and advocate her beliefs in Scientology.

She is not being criticized for spreading her beliefs. Cartwright is being criticized for using the popular character of Bart as a tool for her religious intentions. As a huge Simpsons fan, I find myself sad and dissapointed that she has mixed her personal intentions with a popular character that so many impressionable children can relate to. I am also a angry that a show that I love to watch because of it's silly jokes and light-hearted nature now have now some association to a topical that I find unrelating and so controviersial. Despite the gloomy light that Nancy Cartwright has shed, The Simpsons is still one of my favorite TV shows.

Original Article
Second Article
Toys and Games
"Simpsons" 4 Dancing Homers
picture source

No comments: