Saturday, January 31, 2009

Treasure Hunts Are Always Fun


When I saw the trailer ad for NBC Sunday Movie, "The Last Templar," I couldn't contain my excitement. I read this book a few years back and now they were making a movie out of it! Not only was a book that I read actually being turned into a movie, an actress that I admire, Mira Sorvino, was going to be Tess, the leading female character! I anticpated the date the movie was to air and when it finally arrived, I sat and watched the movie with child-like glee.

Unfortunately, 10 minutes into the movie, my anticipation for a great movie began to dissipate and doubt and dissapointment took over. The movie was filled with cheesy lines, and the straighforward, no-nonsense "Tess" I imagined while reading the book, was portrayed as an annoyingly feminisitic archaeologist (all too typical). I finished the 2-day movie hoping for something to change but unfortunately it didn't. Despite the dissapoint movie, my positive impression of the book remains the same.

The Last Templar reminds me of previous movies and books such as The Da Vinci Code or National Treasure. The one thing all these movies/books have in common are the intricate clues that lead to more clues and eventually some hidden treasure in the form of golds and riches or an ancient truth to be hidden forever, lest the destruction of human kind. I love these types of movies, maybe because the thrill of a treasure hunt is hard to ignore.

In National Treasure 1 and 2, Nicholas Cage and Diane Kruger did a fantastic job adding humor and passion into a treasure hunt. Maybe The Last Templar wasn't as good to me, becasue I compared it to National Treasure or maybe my expectations were just set to high becasue of the great book, but either way, while I don't regret the money I spent to watch National Treasure in the theatre, I do regret the few hours I spent watching The Last Templar.


DVD Action Adventure
National Treasure
picture source

No comments: